With an eye on the translation project of Japan’s laws and regulations conducted by the government (Ministry of Justice), we release laws and regulations, their translations into foreign languages, and related research results to the entire world. We comprise a Service Division that manages and processes legal data held by the government and provides it as information to users and Research and Development Divisions that develop legal databases, translation technology, and translation dictionaries together with other countries as well.
Legal Information Service Division
This division prepares translated laws and regulations linked to Japanese laws and regulations, databases them, and releases them to the entire world. In addition to handling inquiries from users, this division aggressively provides communication with users to break down walls separating them from legal information by. holding database usage seminars and in other ways.
- Management, updating, and releasing of standard translation dictionaries
- Electronic databasing of translated laws and regulations and releasing those databases linked with the Japanese-language laws and regulations
- Maintenance and management of legal databases
- Holding usage seminars for users
Information Science Research Division
This division conducts research and development for raising the convenience when accessing legal information, for example by improving legal databases and user interfaces, and develops tools for supporting translation work. By mutually publishing and sharing the research results on legal data management systems etc. with equivalent organs of various foreign countries and to promote tie-ups and cooperation with them.
- Development of support tools for translation work and translation evaluation work
- Development of standard translation dictionaries
- Improvement of database functions and user interfaces
- Tie-ups and cooperation with equivalent organs in various foreign countries
- Application to legal education and information science education and development of education tools
Legal Research Division
This division’s operations include the structural analysis of legal sentences and the development of translation technology premising multilingualization of Japanese laws and regulations, as well as the compilation of multilingual translation dictionaries. Also, this division conducts research and development for sharing legal information internationally, including the development of mechanisms for comparative law where the similar laws and regulations from multiple countries are rapidly collected and compared.
- Research on making legal data structures
- Sophistication of legal information including annotation
- Linking legal dictionaries from multiple countires
- Development of legal information translation technology
- Research on mechanisms of comparative law